In today’s age, children need to be twice as hardworking to get anywhere in life compared to twenty years ago. This requires them to stay up longer, study more subjects, spend more time at school while also excelling at extracurricular. This is extremely hard as young children do not have fully-developed brains and bodies which are capable of handling this entire extra burden.
One such solution, among many others, has been the invention and subsequent sale of ergonomic school bags. Parents and school administrations alike recommend these bags for usage in school so that there are fewer health concerns to contend with in school going children.
What can parents do?
With the ever-increasing weight of backpacks in primary and middle-school children, back pain and bad posture have become two very worrying indicators of poor health. This not only worries parents but also school administrations as this leads to increased absences in school, leading to being left behind in the school course.
There are some steps that parents can take to lessen that burden. These steps are discussed below in detail.
Encourage the use of lockers.
If your child’s school has lockers, encourage your child to make use of them. If they are young and fail to comply, talk to their teachers about enforcing that rule.
However, if there are no lockers in their school, consider talking to the school administration about it.
Talk to your child’s school principal.
Make sure there are other parents who are on the same page as you. Go and talk to the principal about it. Tell them your concerns regarding the great workload leading to heavier backpacks and talk to them about measures that can be taken to prevent this.
These measures may include:
- Limiting the amount of homework that can be given in a day.
- Enforcing the usage of lockers while at school.
- Introducing binding that breaks books into individual compartments so that children have a decreased load on their backs.
Buy ergonomic school bags for your children.
Ergonomic school bags are an extremely necessary addition to the education systems of today as these lead to a greater degree of comfort for the child and a lesser load on their back. This leads to healthier children who are more energetic and lively.
What are ergonomic school bags?
Ergonomic school bags are bags scientifically designed so that they are comfortable when worn by children even with heavy loads in them. These were developed while keeping in view the increased workload on children which leads to a greater degree of discomfort while carrying around heavy books.
How are they different?
Ergonomic school bags are different in several ways. From the backpack straps to the compartments and the foam padding, they are designed to provide a great degree of comfort even while the load on the shoulders is very great.
- They have broader straps, which distribute the weight evenly over the shoulders. This is because narrower straps lead to a great degree of shoulder pain, chafing, and tenderness when carried with heavyweights for a long time.
- They have foam as padding in the back. This aerated padding allows children to carry their backpacks without feeling discomfort when any sharp object from their bag poked them.
- Ergonomic school bags also have a horizontal strap in the front. This allows children to distribute some of the weight over to their stomach so that the back is not under a great deal of pressure.